My hope is that this blog is like a visit between friends. I enjoy hearing from you and will try to reply to you in the comment section right after your comment, so stop back by and continue the conversation. - Patty

July 26, 2011

black-eyed susans

It seems my garden has made the turn toward Autumn.  The roses are taking a much deserved break and the Shasta daisies have started to wane. 


Only the truly hardy flowers will shine in the August heat.


Fortunately for me, my local garden center put Rudbeckia, one of my favorite fall perennials, on sale just in time.  I went in with tunnel vision and came home with five new Black Eyed Susan plants to add to the front border.

This weekend promises a break in the heat so I am hoping to get out there and trim back the spent flowers and dig in my new additions.  For now I've just placed them in the garden, pots and all.  We'll call it kind of an audition for the real thing.

13 comments:

  1. your garden is so pretty, i really enjoy seeing pictures of it. just spectacular. so happy your favorite was put on sale just in time.

    xo
    ~molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the prettiest flowers in your garden! :) I like your fall looking black eyes susies! I don't have any fall colors in my garden..it's kind of all pinks, whites and blues. (it was planned that way..but your fall colors are beautiful..makes me re-think my garden choices! lol)

    I enjoyed your comment..."a sweet moment of stillness is a true gift from God". That's exactly how I felt when I was taking the bunny's picture...I kept thinking, "God you are so wonderful for letting me have this opportunity". We had gone through a drive thru when we got home, but I left my food on the table and went out and played with the bunny instead. :0)
    Love ya lady!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of my flowers look good! Fall? I can't imagine in this heat.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, a flower from my childhood home gardens. They're just beautiful. You do have a lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is my favorite time of the year and with this heat I am ready!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is beautiful! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really looks lovely and they sure stand out.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Black Eyed Susans are a wonderful choice for a garden! I hope you get that cooler weather so you can enjoy planting them. :)

    I hope you are having a great week so far! :)

    Blessings,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was unaware that there were so many different kinds of Black-eyed Susans. They're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These Black-eyed Susans are beautiful...I haven't seen these before..I will have to remember them for next year...now our heat..107 today..what makes it through that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a while since I've visited, don't know why . . . I've enjoyed reading your past posts, especially the 10 things about you! The bee pitcher is just lovely, but my favorite item is the mug with the blueberries! Your crafts are just wonderful.

    I've really enjoyed my visit today. When you have time please stop by, we're in Maine today and it's beautiful, you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so pretty! You have such a beautiful garden, Patty!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I love these flowers! Lowe's had them marked down last week and I bought two. They truly don't seem to mind the heat.

    ReplyDelete