June 22, 2011

early summer afternoons

The mornings and evenings are still cool and crisp here in Southern California even though the afternoon temps have begun their steady climb toward triple digits.


I just love early summer afternoons when the breeze kicks up enough to make you smile a sweet thank you for nature’s breath of fresh air.


I remember my mother in law (pre-air conditioner days) turning the sprinklers on in the backyard to cool the house in the afternoon.  She knew the breeze would soon be blowing and she’d quickly open the windows to refresh the warm house each evening. 



While the house cooled down, we would sit outside on lawn chairs in the grass under the shade of the large maple tree.  We’d drink ice tea and just visit, talking about nothing and everything at the same time, brushing ants off our legs and swiping at mosquitoes as they buzzed around our heads. 



Life would slow down for a short while and you could just be present…

in. that. moment. 



Such a sweet memory, one that’s definitely worth passing on to the next generation.
It’s time to slow down, ladies.  Don’t you agree?

I'm joining Fishtail Cottage for Flora Thursday.

20 comments:

  1. I'm in lust with your garden... um, that is, I admire/know all the work it takes to have it looking so good. Yep, it's time to slow down, grab some ice tea and enjoy that beautiful garden. Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos and gardens and such sweet memories.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post...this is the perfect time to just be...to create memories and cherish my little ones and watching the beauty that surrounds me...love it! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. your garden looks amazing. love all of the pretty pics of your flowers. perfect early summer afternoon thoughts.

    xo
    ~molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. aawwww...reminded me of SUMMER DAYS at my grammy and grandpees when i was a kid.....

    thanks for bringing back some wonderful summer memories

    kary and teddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound like the perfect kind of summer evening! Your garden is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers and beautiful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gardens are just lovely...thanks for sharing them! Hopped over from Fishtail Cottage...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful garden. I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet memories..absolutely worth keeping and sharing. We DO need to slow down...thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great memory. Today everything is too rushed! I agree that we all should slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a Beautiful post! I felt like I was sitting there with you! :) I love those slow down moments, when you just sit, relax and enjoy. My sister and I sat on her deck the other night for about two hours and just talked and laughed, and listened to the trees talking to us. It was Wonderful!
    Enjoy Summer,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much we can learn from the past, if we just take the time to reflect. You have dear, precious memories to cherish forever. The whole post made me think of Andy, Aunt Bee, and Barney on their front porch. It was a time of fellowship, relaxation, and just enjoying one another company.
    Oh, and your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post. You somehow captured those wonderful garden times of the past with your words...really lovely, and it's time to create some more quiet garden memories I think. Your flowers look so fresh and pretty too. Lovely.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. O, at my age,I HAVE to slow down and I find THAT one of the perks of retirement. I love having my days and nights to do as I please. I love sharing time with my kids and grandkids..Mr. Sweet and I, just a few minutes ago, came into the house (10 pm) from sitting on the porch swing and just.....being.
    xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mother was a smart woman. GOOD you paid attention and now share her wisdom with others

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a nice note! The flowers are so beautiful. What is the blue one? Btw I love your open shelving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's! Enjoyed reading your post.... xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete