My hope is that this blog is like a visit between friends. I enjoy hearing from you and will try to reply to you in the comment section right after your comment, so stop back by and continue the conversation. - Patty

May 13, 2011

watering can

I found this old metal watering can at a garage sale for .50 cents.  It’s really nothing special but I love the whimsy it adds to this container garden display.  The well-worn patina adds bit of character to this otherwise ordinary grouping of pots. 

I’m having fun using vintage and broken items in the garden and photographing them.  

 A bird house that is no longer useful hanging in a tree can add just the right accent to a large container of annuals on the back porch.   A broken vase or urn can be charming turned on its side with flowers tumbling out.

I’ve seen broken chairs and even vintage beds filled with flowers in the most enchanting cottage gardens in magazines and on other blogs.

It took me a while to lose the seriousness of a proper garden and just go for the joy.  I admit it’s a fine line between whimsy and junky but thankfully, it’s a line that’s set by each individual gardener.  Some might see this old watering can and see a piece of junk where I see the character and beauty in it.  
 Aren't you thankful that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm linking up to the following parties...
Photo Friday at a Rosy Note
Fertilizer Friday
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Feathering Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
My Favorite Things Friday at Bargain Hunting with Laurie
Friday Pretties at I Love Pretty Little Things

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic feature for Friday!!!
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beautiful yellows and reds look wonderful. I love the watering can.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful and I'm so glad I found you today through A Rosy Note's party. I recently found an old watering can and love it!!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I love the can, what a steal for .50! The colors are beautiful in your shots. Love the combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! AND I love your sweet watering can, too! I can see the something beautiful in it. :) I love the pictures you used in this post, by the way! When I read your blog, it makes me want to go outside and garden! Our garden styles are very similar, although I am a newbie! But I love whimsy in a garden. :)

    I just love visiting your blog, and am leaving once again with a big smile on my face! I hope you have a lovely weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely seeing the beauty in your garden too :-) I love that old can, and your photos are beautiful.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I have a thing for galvanized metal. I love all of it's hardworking beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet watering can and your photographs are so pretty! Happy Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your outlook on gardening - I need to add a little whimsy to my garden - I think our grandchildren would appreciate it. I like your blog - and outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love old watering cans too. Heck I love anything old! Much prefer it to the new. Yours is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the old watering can too! You are so right - all kinds of old things can look great amongst the plants and flowers, giving extra visual interest. Lovely pictures!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. came here today via brenda at cozy little house

    i LOVE your blog name....and it looks like we have ALOT in common...i have a watering can just like that...and yesterday i made strawberry sunshine jam !!!!

    you have a wonderful blog and i am Happy to follow....

    kary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that watering can was a steal at that price!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the whimsy that vintage pieces add to a garden. Your watering can is perfect, and I actually have collected some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a similar watering can on my porch. It was a centerpiece for a wedding I attended and was filled with fresh daisies. I was given the centerpiece and I have filled it with seasonal faux flowers ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soo sweet! I love your pretty red and the darling watering can and .50! What a find! Your photos are really great too! Thanks so much for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your watering can and all your gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have an old antique watering can I inherited from an aunt. I love sitting mine around the flowers too. In the past I have planted a few flowers in it. You have great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great old watering can! It looks so pretty with your flowers. Your photos turned out wonderful. Thanks for sharing them at Photo Feature Friday :)

    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete