May 10, 2011

strawberry season

While I've been flower gardening for a while, growing fruits and vegatables is new to me.  I originally decided to give it a try hoping it would encourage us to eat healthier and make us just a little more self-sufficient.  I didn't realize the beauty of it, the delicate blossoms, the brightness of the fruit, the different shades of greens in the lettuce leaves. peppers and onions.


I especially love strawberry season.   I can't wait for them to start showing up in the supermarket and at the local produce stand and farmers market each spring so I thought it would be fun to put a few strawberry plants in my produce patch this year. 


I'm amazed at the difference in homegrown fruits and vegtables from the store bought kind.  The color is more vivid and the taste just can't be matched. 


I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much joy I get watching my grandkids picking them and popping them into their sweet little mouths.


Along side the strawberries, I planted radishes that they love to pull out of the dirt for their grandpa who will eat them right out of the ground.   Against my better judgement, he convinced my three year old grandson to give one a try.  His sweet little face went from joy to tortured in a split second.  The hot flavor of that red radish only lasted through a couple of crunches before it made it's way into my waiting hand.   It seems that one of the joys of being a grandma is being the recipient of any food tasting that doesn't meet the approval of the taster.  

One of the less talked about perks of grandmahood, for sure.  You know, I still wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm linking to this beautiful blog party...

A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday
All things heart and home for All Things Inspired

13 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! I love strawberries, too. I started container gardening last year, since we don't have a spot for a real garden right now, and I grew green beans, tomatoes and some herbs. I tried growing cucumbers, too, but they just didn't like me for some reason. It is amazing how wonderful fresh green beans taste when they're only picked a couple hours before eating. Have fun with your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog!! I love all your gorgeous flowers, and your porch looks beautiful. I'm your new follower too!!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. thx for visiting my garden. may i come for those berries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homegrown strawberries do taste waaaay better than store bought!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strawberry Shortcake anyone? They sure look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm experimenting in the garden also. It will be fun to see what we can grow this year. Pass or fail, it's always just pure fun. I love those pictures. I can taste those strawberries, umm....Debi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the less talked about perk of granmahood! Just one more reason to look forward to some of my own.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your beautiful strawberry photos - they look delicious! I smiled at the radish incident too - I know just what you mean!! I loved the cottage garden pictures on your previous post - that's just the kind of garden I like, overflowing with colourful flowers, just gorgeous!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love strawberries as well. Our season is in April so the local ones are gone. We still get n ice one in the grocery stores. I think you will find pleasure in growing your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy those look good. Can't wait until ours are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is NOTHING like a fresh, homegrown strawberry! YUM!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gardening season is just getting underway here in NY- I can't wait to get outside in the dirt today! Lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photos are beautiful.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete