My hope is that this blog is like a visit between friends. I enjoy hearing from you and will try to reply to you in the comment section right after your comment, so stop back by and continue the conversation. - Patty

May 25, 2011

a beautiful day

What a beautiful day we had today.  Absolutely picture perfect.  Highs in the mid 70’s, bright blue skies, a nice breeze in the air.  Such a nice change after a very grey May.



Even though it has been a milder than normal spring here in Southern California, most of my spring blooms have passed their prime.  It seems the flowers are ready for summer’s arrival, too.

Try as I might to stay with soft cottage colors here in the perennial bed, I can’t help but smile seeing the golden coreopsis contrasting with the red of the geraniums and the beautiful purple salvias.  The hot colors of summer have definitely started to take center stage. 


The soft pastels of spring have given way to the bold blossoms of summer. 


I learned long ago that contained abandonment is the most I can hope for in the garden.  I just don’t have the heart to move plants that pop up out of their originally designated spot.  I guess I just can’t squash the sheer joy they seem to have joining in where they don’t belong. 


My mother says I have always been fiercely independent myself, never afraid to cross boundaries or color outside the lines.  How could I expect any less of my flowers?

I'm linking up with Fishtail Cottage for Flora Thursday.

14 comments:

  1. I love it when I have surprises in my garden and especially love the volunteers that show up... Your garden is beautiful as are your photographs! Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are like my daughter...fiercely independent and crossing boundaries...how much fun to read this morning and the pictures are just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel somewhat like you do...let 'em grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let all the flower bloom no matter what color I think so. There is not enough colors in this world:) You have so beautiful garden.
    Greetings from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! I so agree with you. It's so hard to prune my flower blossoms too, but I did it two days ago. Can't wait for them to rebloom even more this summer, especially my roses.

    I love how your photos are so vibrant in colors! Happy Cottage flora Thursday!
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the colors are so vibrant together, love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, I cannot edit my flowers or garden to a certain set of colors. I also have a habit of buying rescue plants that are not properly labeled and just getting surprised by what happens when they thrive. Your last image is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! I'm the same way, I just let it all be. I have some bright orange asiatic lillies popping up (they were free bulbs with an order). I'm just going to let them be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have beautiful gardens. The yellows are popping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pictures! the red ones are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Garden! thanks so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's! xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes nature knows what it's doing and it's best to let the flowers be wherever they pop up. Your blooms are beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my garden site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somehow flowers always look wonderful to me just growing naturally, however they decide to arrange themselves colour-wise! Your pictures look beautiful, I especially liked the last one - I love to look through the flower stalks like that.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cottage garden is lovely. Each photo captures the beauty of each plant. I love the array of color :)

    A joy stopping by to visit with you!
    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete